Monday, December 12, 2011

Changing fuel filter on 2000 Chevy PU?

I ran my truck out of gas right at the pump and once it was fueled it would not fire.. if I held the gas pedal down it would start to catch but never fully fire.

I get the truck home, change the fuel filter thinking I just got something plugging it up, but with the new filter it does nothing. Any ideas other than fuel pump?? I don't see how running out of gas would trash my fuel pump.. any ideas?Changing fuel filter on 2000 Chevy PU?
The gas in the tank helps cool the fuel pump .Pour the gas out of your old fuel filter. If fine black particles come out its probably your fuel pump. You should hear the pump run for a few seconds when you turn the key on.

If you dont hear it check the fuse,

www.autozone.com has instructions for removing the fuel pump.Changing fuel filter on 2000 Chevy PU?
the truck is fuel injected. If you floor it while starting it actually disables the ignition system to prevent it from starting. The fuel filter should not be the problem. You need to make sure the fuel pump is supplying proper pressure. Running a tank empty puts a severe strain on a fuel pump. If you have filled the tank up and can hear the pump run, keep cranking the engine and it should start. It might take a minute of cranking but it should start as long as you have fuel pressure. Just don't even touch the gas pedal. That's what fuel injection is for!
If your truck was surging, like it was out of fuel before this happen, then its you fuel pump. That happen to my car one time. I thought it was also the fuel filter. Normally that is what you change first. take it to a garage and they can test your fuel pump

No comments:

Post a Comment